Re: 2.1.63 oops on umount

firewind (firewind@seabrook.aurdev.com)
Sun, 16 Nov 1997 10:29:12 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 16 Nov 1997, Bill Hawes wrote:

> Do you know which device was being unmounted when the oops happened? It
> looks like an inode was trashed, but it would help to know whether it
> was on a well-tested fs like ext2 or one of the lesser-used ones.

Well, just prior to the oops, I got two messages from umount, saying that
/dev/hda2 (an ext2 filesystem) and /proc were still busy. On reboot, fsck
said /dev/hdb2 (the root filesystem, another ext) was clean, so I presume
it was unmounted correctly. This leaves /dev/hda1 and /dev/hdb1, msdos
partitions, as possible culprits. If so, this wouldn't be the first time
I've had msdos filesystem-related problems... in previous 2.1.5x kernels,
I would frequently get "VFS: Busy inodes after unmount. Self-destruct in 5
seconds. Bye-bye.." messages on umount'ing msdos filesystems.

[-- firewind -- firewind@aurdev.com --]
[-- "You're just jealous because the voices talk to me." --]