Re: Intel and the Pentium Bug..

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
16 Nov 1997 06:45:38 GMT

In article <Pine.LNX.3.95.971115024038.23175A-100000@nightshade.z.ml.org>,
linux kernel account <linker@nightshade.z.ml.org> wrote:

>Is that quote from Linus accurate?
>
>I dont recall any corridnation with Intel.

Intel did contact me, and they have made patches available. Their
patches were developed separately from the "official" Linux patches, but
intel people tried to help and were hobbled by some stupid intel rules
that would have required me to sign an NDA for the full story before
last Friday (which I wasn't willing to do - thus the separate efforts).

So the quite is accurate, although it doesn't tell the whole story.

Note that the real heroes here are Alan Cox and especially Ingo Molnar,
who did the gruntwork. Intel did a fairly good job, but they really
should reconsider some of their standard procedures (and I still think
they should fire a few lawyers).

If the Linux people had been any less competent, intel would have been a
great help, but as it was the "native" Linux patches were done before
the intel patches. We should be proud - nobody else was able to do that
(the BSDi patches were intel patches released _despite_ a NDA, and later
pulled off their site due to that).

Linus