Re: MSR driver

Stephan Meyer (Stephan.Meyer@pobox.com)
Fri, 14 Nov 1997 21:15:48 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 13 Nov 1997, M. Patrick Goda wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I would like to express my support for this device driver! I think it
> would be a nice addition to the kernel.

Appreciated very much.

People will switch to NT if Linux will not have this feature. This is no
speculation. Dieter Kvasnicka <dieter@hermes.theochem.tuwien.ac.at> told
me this.

> On another note- I wrote a sister utility to perfmon, mperfmon, which
> multiplexes over some subset of the available profiling events.
> mperfmon works ok, but it would be ideal if we could add the MSRs to
> the information saved over a context switch- this way the counts would
> be more accurate and multiple instances of perfmon/mperfmon would not
> collide as they now do. Is there any reason why this couldn't become
> a feature in the kernel?

IMO it wouldn't make sense to include all the MSR's. The two performance
counters and the control register would be enough.

Kernel gurus: Which structures need to be enhanced?

And finally: I would really very much like to get some word from the
kernel gurus (the master guys) on what kernel-user-space interface should
be used! I don't understand why my emails go unanswered.
What is it? Am I too lame? Is my sig too long? Does my charset stink???
:-(

> Patrick

Stephan.Meyer@pobox.com
meyerst@informatik.uni-muenchen.de
http://pobox.com/~stephan.meyer/
2A 64 F0 73 02 91 10 FC 18 CC 83 1E E2 2C 7E 79

So what would an angel say
The devil wants to know