Re: [2.1.62] freezes during X

Gerhard Mack (gmack@ntonline.com)
Tue, 11 Nov 1997 05:23:20 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 10 Nov 1997, B. James Phillippe wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Anyone experiencing X freezing under 2.1.62? I'm using said
> kernel with XFree86-3.2 S3 for a Diamond Stealth 64 Trio64 PCI w/2M. It
> freezes immediately when I start Communicator 4.03. It will freeze after
> an hour or so if I just leave it in X. I havn't seen this prior to
> 2.1.62. Is there anything else I can do to find out the cause of this?
>
> The freezes are solid and leave no logs at all. Load doesn't seem to be
> the cause. I'm not running a Pentium either so I know that isn't it. ;)
>
> thanks,
> -bp
> --
> B. James Phillippe <bryan@Terran.ORG>
> UNIX, Linux, networks, C, Perl, Java, etc.
> NIC:BJP4 # http://w3.terran.org/~bryan

I have experianced an X windows freeze but am unable to reproduce it, it's
only happened to me twice (once on 2.1.59 and once on 2.1.62) both times
it faled to return to text mode on exit and left me with a locked local
console. I was forced to telnet from another machine and do a
proper shutdown, and simply wait for the HD light to stop blinking.

My system is a Pentium 120 w/16 megs ram.
My video card is a generic Art-64V+ (S3 Trio+) w/ 1 meg on board

Gerhard Mack
gmack@ntonline.com

learn about the OS of the future: www.linux.org
boycott Microsoft: http://www.vcnet.com/bms/