Re: Filesize limitation

Svein Erik Brostigen (SveinErik.Brostigen@ksr.okpost.telemax.no)
06 Nov 1997 08:57:38 Z

> On Tue, 4 Nov 1997, Matti Aarnio wrote:
>
> > A set of RAID5 (5+1 disks) 9 GB spindles, 91 catenated
> > together (546 disks) gives roughly that 4 TB, and is not
> > THAT big a system... Building them up from SPARC-Array
> > boxes yields pretty dense disk system, for example.
> > (If I calculated correctly, it fits into two 19 inch
> > full height racks...)
Substitute those 9Gb disk with the 21 Gb SCSI disk available now and You wil have.. Let's
see... 9,32 TB or something...

Pretty soon we will see even larger disks. My company uses a lot of digitized maps of the
the city to regulate sewers, water-pipes, traffic-lights, and a lot of other stuff. Needs BIG disks
for this.

I really think it is needed to make Linux handle bigger files. 2 GB today is not actually big
anymore.

Like teunis said in an earlier posting, why not look into scalable filesystems. Difficukt, sure,
impossible, no-way!

To those afraid of compatibility problems, continue to use the ext2 filesystem.

What about video storage in databases? 2 GB is *NOT* enough for a single
full-length mpeg-video. Why ramble about this? Well, I can see a few years ahead that the
normal video-rental companies no longer rent cassettes, but you dial in and order a movie
from their database. They need big files...

> You might have a problem just "seeing" all those drives on a Linux system
> - the current device major/minor size supports only 16 SCSI drives. This
> is not to say that the 31-bit file size limitation should not be removed,
> but it's not the only problem Linux has with big-iron systems.
Yupp.. Linux needs to revise that area and extend the support of SCSI devices a bit..

Svein Erik Brostigen
Special Consultant/Oslo Kommune - KSR
/* Handling 34 Oracle servers is no problems, the users are! */