Re: Linux + Win95 simultaneously

Mattias Hembruch (mghembru@ece.uwaterloo.ca)
Tue, 4 Nov 1997 12:26:15 -0500 (EST)

Byron Davies <davies@pobox.com> wrote:
>The early feedback:
>
>Non-list responder: Absolutely not.
>Mike Sharkey: Too hard, just use two computers and Ethernet.
>Joerg Pommnitz: How would you share RAM?
>Jake Messinger: No and WHY? Use multiple machines and NFS.
>Robert G. Brown: Likes the concept, but suggests a Windows app precompiler.
>Same non-list responder: Why would a Linux person possibly be interested in
>Windows?
>Phil Brutsche: Loves the idea. DOSEmu is too slow (on a '486).
>==============
>Thanks for your quick responses. First, I'm encouraged. I haven't yet
>heard any show-stoppers.

?? "Absolutely not", "Can't share RAM", "Too hard" and "No" aren't
"show-stoppers" ?? I guess I'll have to find an alternative definition from
the one I used to think applied to this term..

>My customers would be ecstatic if they could, as Robert G. Brown put it,
>hot-key between Linux and Windows. Performance wouldn't be a major issue.
>>From what I've read, the dual processor Pentium board provides only
>marginally better performance anyway. What I would hope from this
>configuration is super convenience at a small incremental cost.

[moved up from signature]
>Byron Davies, Ph.D.
>VP and Chief Technologist
>Savant Computation Instruments, Inc.

Since you stand to benefit from this (your "customers"), would you be
willing to put out some $$$ too? I think (don't quote me on it, and I don't
want to offend any members of the dosemu team, it's just an example), if you
waved $100K in front of the Dosemu team, you'd have what you want in 6
months (if it's at all possible).. If you can't buy it, then you might
have to start the effort yourself and get others on board.

Actually, I almost forgot: what you SHOULD do is get involved with the
Freedows 98 project (http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/7519/). They're
working on something that will do exactly what you want.

Mattias