Re: File locking problems?

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@bitwizard.nl)
Mon, 3 Nov 1997 15:34:59 +0100 (MET)

Bill Hawes wrote:

> Richard Gooch wrote:
> >
> > Hi, all. I've had persistant problems with filesystems not being
> > properly unmounted at shutdown. I've tracked it down to a corrupted
> > /etc/mtab. Further fiddling has shown that the corruption is most
> > likely to occur when I shut down the autofs-based automounter. I have
> > 13 automounter maps, so when a killall is done on the automounter
> > there is a brief flurry of activity.
> > I've had these problems with 2.0.3x as well as 2.1.61, although I've
> > been doing my testing on 2.1.61.
>
> Hi Richard,
>
> Have you considered doing unmounting based on /proc rather than
> /etc/mtab? It seems to me that /etc/mtab is outdated, and that
> unmounting should based on the kernel's view of what is currently
> mounted.

Besides that your remark is entirely correct, I'd say that if this
uncovers a bug with locking, it deserves getting fixed.

I mean that even if it is outdated to use a mount that keeps the
currently mounted filesystems in /etc/mtab, the locking should still
work....

Roger.

--
** R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl ** +31-15-2137555 ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ **
Florida -- A 39 year old construction worker woke up this morning when a