Re: AMD K6 on Linux?

Paul Wilkins (paulw@monsterboard.com.au)
Mon, 3 Nov 1997 12:08:48 +1100 (EST)

On Fri, 31 Oct 1997, Vic wrote:

> Heheh.. This is the exact same question I asked man, so dont feel to bad.
> If you have the $$$ money then buy the K6. It simply out performs the
> Cyrix in everything. The k6 is almost twice a fast (whne you look at
> bogimips)

Aaargghhh...
people are STILL using "bogo mips" as a performance statistic.

Bogo mips are _totally BOGUS_ !!!

Read the Linux faq. Bogo mips are meaningless (and maybe it's time the
name was changed to something that dosen't make people think of a mips
rating - like "clock base" or something.

Quote from the Linux faq
Question 8.5. What is a BogoMip ?

`BogoMips' is a contraction of `Bogus MIPS'. MIPS stands for (depending
who you listen to) Millions of Instructions per Second, or Meaningless
Indication of Processor Speed.

The number printed at boot-time is the result of a kernel timing
calibration, used for very short delay loops by some device drivers.

As a very rough guide the BogoMips will be approximately:
386SX clock * 0.14
386DX clock * 0.18
486Cyrix/IBM clock * 0.33
486SX/DX/DX2 clock * 0.50
586 clock * 0.39

Paul

TTT M M M PPP
T MMMMM PPPP
T M M M P

Disclaimer:
The views herein expressed do not necessarily reflect those of
TMP Worldwide or its affiliated companies.