RE: Console freeze (third episode)

James Mastros (root@jennifer-unix.dyn.ml.org)
Sun, 2 Nov 1997 15:08:32 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 2 Nov 1997, Meino Christian Cramer wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I also have a lock, while pressing the [BACK] buton
> of my Netscape browser _FAST_
>
> Everything locks, except the moving of the cursor (but it still shows
> a modified arrow). Nothing else works, NO console switching, no
> CTRL-ALT-BSPC to kill X.
>
> If I can do more, please "insruct me".
>
> KEEP HACKING!
> meino

If you have magic SysRq support, you can hit sysrq-r to get out of raw mode,
then try switching terminals. That may or may not work. (X has control of
console-switching, since Linux dosn't know how to get out of graphics mode.)
If the console-switch worked, do some fiddiling around. If it didn't, hit
controll-alt-delete, and hope your init kicks in to do a clean shutdown.

-=- James Mastros

---
When the annals of distributed computing are written, and the name 'Bovine'
appears in there, I can say "Hey, I was a part of that, I checked .0012% of
the keyspace".
-=- Brian Wilson <wilsonb@mindspring.net>
Go to www.distributed.net before I come make you!