Re: CD Filesystem still broken!

Gordon Chaffee (chaffee@kitty1.cs.berkeley.edu)
Wed, 29 Oct 1997 00:36:52 -0800 (PST)

Steven N. Hirsch writes:
> Even after fixing isofs in 2.1.60, ISO filesystem handling is still
> broken. I've been reporting this until blue in the face, but have
> received absolutely zero response.
>
> For about the third time: Can ANYONE confirm or deny that there are
> problems with isofs/cdrom in recent 2.1.x kernels?
>
> The symptoms are simple: About 2/3 of the directory entries are simply
> missing. What is there seems to be correct.

While attempting to integrate the Joliet patch into isofs, I found
this sort of behavior. The problem that I found was that if a directory
entry crossed a 2048 byte boundary under certain circumstances, it
would skip all files until the next 2048 byte boundary. This showed
up quite readily by doing a ls -1 | wc -l on a 2.0.30 system and then
on a 2.0.59 system. The numbers of files were drastically different.

However, the Joliet patch included this particular fix (or at least
I think it did as I haven't actually checked the isofs behavior in
2.1.60). I'll take a further look into the problem if you send me
a partial dump of your cd.

dd if=/dev/cdrom bs=1024 count=2048 | gzip -c -f | uuencode cd_data.gz > cd_data.uu

Send me cd_data.uu, and I'll see what I can find.

- Gordon