Re: Solaris

Edward Welbon (welbon@bga.com)
Sat, 4 Oct 1997 14:52:47 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 4 Oct 1997, SethMeister G. wrote:

> This is nothing like that :) Sun is not hiding the fact that this is the
> case. Is it really so outrageous? I mean, you would pay a factor of the
> price for putting it on another machine, wouldn't you? What's the big
> difference between doing that and adding a second processor (and getting a
> caparable performace boost?).

I don't argue your points, but the "desktop" solaris intel license is
about $500(*) and the "server" intel license is about $2800(*). So
solaris on a pair of boxes costs $1000 but solaris on a 2 way box costs
$2800 (that is as much or more than the cost of a 2 way intel box). That
is a bit expensive.

(*) These are rough but close costs (within 10%); $500 is for a single
user and single CPU license. According to a Sun representative, single
user means that with one user login active an anonymous ftp will not be
allowed by the single user license. I didn't get the details on the
server license as the cost is out of the question for my needs.

Ed Welbon - welbon@bga.com
In nature there is neither right or wrong, only consequences.