Re: linuxhq replacement (was Linux (free s/w support)

Jim Pick (jim@jimpick.com)
Thu, 02 Oct 1997 13:13:57 -0700

--==_Exmh_541364424P

[ I'm resending this since apparently submit-linux-deb-kernel@transmeta.com
doesn't connect to linux-kernel ]

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> We certainly would like to provide that kind of stuff at kernel.org,
> but right now we don't have staff time. I have an standing offer for
> access to anyone who'd volunteer to do the work. Someone is doing a
> linuxhq.com replacement, but chose to use his own server (which will
> become www.linuxhq.com) rather than locate it on kernel.org.

Hi,

For those that didn't know -- I am in the process of taking over the
site from Mark Evans.

I'm working on it right now. It's a huge job figuring out how Mark Evans
had the whole thing setup (it's almost entirely automated) and trying to get
it working on my environment -- much more difficult than I first thought.
I've been spending 5-6 hours per day for the last week and a half studying
it and fixing things up. I would have thought I'd have it working by now.

People looking for the patches (up to August 13th) can access the
site -- it's at http://linuxhq.jimpick.com/

I hope to get things working well enough to switch the www.linuxhq.com
domain over to it fairly soon. Hopefully, I can get everything done
by tomorrow and Mark can 'flip the switch' to move the linuxhq.com
domain over.

I want to organize it as a volunteer project - not a commercial project.
This will be a fair amount of work to organize, since the current site is
oriented towards having a single maintainer. My first priority is to
just get the site operating again.

There is a mailing list. Send "subscribe" in the body of a message to
linuxhq-list@cuc.edu to sign up.

It will probably take me quite a while to become as good as Mark was at
collecting patches and such -- so don't expect the same quality of input
to the site at first. (I can tell that I will have to overhaul how I
do my personal e-mail filtering and such)

I chose to use my own server because it is capable of the load, and is
easier for me to work with (since I'm doing the bulk of the work to start).
I would love to get linuxhq.com set up in such a way that we can organize
a volunteer effort around maintaining it -- and have a worldwide network
of mirror sites (including kernel.org). I'm even open to moving the
master site off of my server if it makes good sense. It might be a good
idea to use my site as a development site, and another site as the
main production site.

Anyways, it's coming soon.

Cheers,

- Jim

--==_Exmh_541364424P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.3a

iQCVAwUBNDQAgeQz770qyIfJAQGIiAP/UZOzoaffcGguo8tP0inu9ZaoufnxNS1d
s0+c1tXNoZrxWBcFN153gwOlVc6g2VU1xwoIrFHDgxKyl5cJA9bgdOYrbPaP2exQ
UoTp91YB39xVQbdcfc4x0XFRlfp1IKtINrRCkFtPhLECziOzQnDUF7Bo87u2jydl
kHZlUJlQTUw=
=yo//
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_541364424P--