Re: Process Migration on Linux - Impossible?

ig25@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de
Wed, 1 Oct 1997 20:44:32 +0200

In ka.lists.linux.kernel, David Schwartz wrote:

>You can't migrate a TCP/IP connection between machines even
>if you migrate the process that owns it.

Why not?

Assume clustered machines with one machine (or more) serving as gateway
to the outside. The gateway would be running IP masquerading, and
know about the migration process.

>Nettwork I/O is not the only problem. File I/O is just as important and
>just as serious.

Files on shared or identical filesystems are no problem; files on local
filesystems can be copied.

[Wether it's worth it is a different question :-]

--
Thomas Koenig, Thomas.Koenig@ciw.uni-karlsruhe.de, ig25@dkauni2.bitnet.
The joy of engineering is to find a straight line on a double