Re: Devices with dynamic IP numbers can be annoying.

Stephen M. Benoit (benoits@servicepro.com)
Tue, 23 Sep 1997 17:19:03 -0400 (EDT)

On 23 Sep 1997, Benny Amorsen wrote:

> SMB> If there were some way of distinguishing between dynamic-IP
> SMB> network devices (e.g. ppp, slip) from the "normal" network
> SMB> devices (e.g. eth, lo), the kernel could take "appropriate"
> SMB> actions on sockets using stale IP numbers.
>
> My eth0 is much like slip and ppp. I jump from network to network;
> sometimes I pull out the eth0 card and switch to ppp instead. Of
> course I happen to use a PCMCIA card, but people are starting to talk
> about hotswapping PCI. You cannot rely on any hardware part being
> where you last saw it, these days.

Good point. I was just thinking that TCP/IP is fairly robust, as long as the
IP numbers of the devices don't change too often (i.e. while a socket is still
using the old IP number). I had not thought of hot-swapping ethernet devices,
but you're quite right: there's no clear way to protect the TCP/IP stack from
disconnection hazards and dynamic IP.

~ ~ | benoits@servicepro.com | B.Eng (Computer), M.Eng (Electrical)
('>') | Tel: +(514) 255-3550 | Service Providers of America INC
_ | FAX: +(514) 256-1356 | Web page: http://www.servicepro.com/