Re: VFS:no free inodes - contact linus

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Tue, 23 Sep 1997 08:17:10 -0400

Klaus-Peter Dombrofsky wrote:
> I still have enough inodes on the disc.
> When the machine starts i make a tail -f /proc/sys/kernel/inode-nr and i
> see
> two numbers. The first is, i think, nr_inodes and the second is
> nr_free_inodes.
> My question is: When do these numbers increase ???
> The first number seems to represent the the upper limit for nr_inodes, but
> it is increasing dynamically up to
> inode-max. After reaching inode-max and if the nr_free_inodes are under a
> limit, i get this error message.
> I see these numbers always growing but never become lower.

Klaus,
Depending on the applications you're running, you may need a large
number of inodes. In this case (assuming memory isn't a problem) you
can just keep increasing inode-max until you find a limit you can live
with.

It's possible (though unlikely I hope) that somehow inode use counts
aren't being released, and that effectively there's an inode "leak". If
your usage keeps going up over time this would be something to consider.

Another possibility is that your applications are using large numbers of
inodes in a pattern that's defeating the free inode search algorithm.
If you're willing to experiment with this, I can send you a small patch
that changes the search mechanism.

Regards,
Bill