Re: lp broken? (fixed in 2.1.56 for me)

Jimmie Farmer (calvin@malchick.com)
Mon, 22 Sep 1997 22:55:31 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 22 Sep 1997, Tim Waugh wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Sep 1997, Jimmie Farmer wrote:

> > > Ah, yes, you're quite right. Try this patch and let me know if the noises
> > > come back.
> >
> > Yes, they did, but with this patch I once again could not print.
> > I think my printer is posessed. =-\
>
> Oh dear. What exactly are the symptoms?

Well, it is polled at boot, then when I try to print, the printer
either goes offline, or it acts like I just turned it back on, then
nothing.

malchick:calvin:~#lpq
lp is ready and printing
Rank Owner Job Files Total Size
active calvin 80 patch-lp 1208 bytes

> What, for example, happens when you try to echo to /dev/lp{whatever} as
> root?

malchick:calvin:~#cat patch-lp > /dev/lp0
/dev/lp0: Device or resource busy.

malchick:calvin:~#echo pewp > /dev/lp0
/dev/lp0: Device or resource busy.

malchick:calvin:~#cp patch-lp /dev/lp0
cp: cannot create regular file `/dev/lp0': Device or resource busy

> What do the files in /proc/parport have to say?

malchick:calvin:~#ls -la /proc/parport
total 0
dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Sep 22 22:52 .
dr-xr-xr-x 49 root root 0 Sep 22 15:45 ..
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Sep 22 22:52 0

Let me know if you need anything else.

I know this is totally unrelated, but I *hate* Canon printers, and
will never buy another as long as I live. =-\

Sincerely,
Jimmie Farmer

Jimmie Farmer | It is by the fortune of God that, in this country,
Guitar For Hire | we have three benefits: freedom of speech, freedom
calvin@malchick.com | of thought, and the wisdom never to use either.
http://www.malchick.com/ | -- Mark Twain