Re: Constant hangs with 2.0.31pre9

Adam D. Moss (adam@uunet.pipex.com)
Mon, 22 Sep 1997 11:08:26 GMT

> ------------------------------
> From: "Adam D. Bradley" <artdodge@cs.bu.edu>
> Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 13:07:25 -0400 (EDT)
> Subject: Re: Constant hangs with 2.0.31pre9
>
> > i'm afraid i have to report severe problems with 2.0.31pre9.
> > in three days of useing it, i have experienced at least 6
> > complete random freezes. No ping from outside was answered.
> > Keyborad/mouse were dead.
> > Nothing in the logs either.
>
> What kind of hardware are you using? (It wouldn't happen to include a
> heavily-used Adaptec SCSI card, would it?) Do the freezes occur when
> the system is idle or loaded? How much RAM? etc etc etc...

Uh-oh... I've been having system freezes since I upgraded from 2.0.30
to 2.0.31pre9, but I put it down to a hardware fault.

I have a Adaptec 152x SCSI card with an often-used always-mounted ZIP
drive on it. 48mb of RAM, Cx5x86, no-name VIP motherboard. My system
is usually loaded when it freezes, though not usually accessing the
SCSI ZIP drive at that point. Freeze occurs once or twice per day.

Cheers
--Adam