Re: /proc/pci

Teunis Peters (teunis@usa.net)
Sat, 20 Sep 1997 16:19:46 -0600 (MDT)

On Sat, 20 Sep 1997, Stephen Williams wrote:

> Philip.Blundell@pobox.com said:
> > and the format of the `memory at...' lines has been changed
> > slightly, which breaks some applications (notably XF86_TGA).
>
> Oh... is *that* how the X servers find PCI video cards? Golly, that is
> pretty fragile. I think that my /proc/pcibus patches are an improvement
> over that, and David Howells Configuration Management patches may improve
> it even further.
>
> I think that programs parsing /proc/pci is a very bad idea. I think it
> should be removed altogether.

Okay fine. How _SHOULD_ a userspace program find a PCI card?
(I'm probably missing something here - I haven't really paid all that much
attention to this thread 'till now)

Incidentally - Until Linus allows graphics support into the kernel, the
search has to be done in userspace (with all the races, instability, and
all that go with it.. but considering most videocards aren't all that
stable to begin with this shouldn't really be a problem).

G'day, eh?
- Teunis
[not that it affects me - am working on GGI now <g>]