Re: lp broken? (fixed in 2.1.56 for me)

Jimmie Farmer (calvin@malchick.com)
Sat, 20 Sep 1997 11:40:19 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 20 Sep 1997, Robert L Harris wrote:

> > I am about to boot to 2.1.56, so we shal see.
> >
> > I did notice that the printer never gets polled during boot to
> > 2.1.55, like it does when I boot to 2.0.30, if this means anything to
> > anyone.
>
> One hint I got was that I had to turn on "PC Style Hardware".
> Once I fixed that my printer was working fine.

I had that enabled; I had (and have) ALL parallel port options
enabled, even the Plug&Pray probing.

I am happy to report though that 2.1.56 gave me lp back. It still
doesn't get polled at bootup, so I am willing to accept this as a feature,
but it happily prints now, where it wouldn't with 2.1.55 with the exact
same kernel options enabled. =-)

BTW, I just used the 2.1.55 -> 56 patch file, and not a full
source tree.

Sincerely,
Jimmie Farmer

Jimmie Farmer | It is by the fortune of God that, in this country,
Guitar For Hire | we have three benefits: freedom of speech, freedom
calvin@malchick.com | of thought, and the wisdom never to use either.
http://www.malchick.com/ | -- Mark Twain