RE: lp broken?

Jimmie Farmer (calvin@malchick.com)
Fri, 19 Sep 1997 23:41:24 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, Mike Bristow wrote:

> On 17-Sep-97 Robert L Harris wrote:
> > I'm running 2.1.54 still. Sometime in the past kernel revs I now
> > get no printer. This is all I get on initialization:
> >
> > Sep 16 16:52:03 dogbert kernel: lp: driver loaded but no devices found
>
> Sounds like you are using modules for your printer. I got a similar error at
> first (although I can't remember if it was with .54 or .55)
>
> Adding alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc in /etc/conf.modules sorted it out
> (or parport_someotherarch if you don't have a pc clone. I forget which
> arch's have this, it's not all of them but it is more than pc's)

I am not using modules (never have), but my LP is also broke in
2.1.55. It works great in 2.0.30, though.

I did catch the lp1 is now lp0 gotcha, that didn't solve the
problem, though.

I also tried a patch that someone posted about here, to no avail.

> > I have /dev/lp0, lp1 and lp2. Does anyone know of lp is broken
> > in this kernel? Is is fixed in a future rev?

I am about to boot to 2.1.56, so we shal see.

I did notice that the printer never gets polled during boot to
2.1.55, like it does when I boot to 2.0.30, if this means anything to
anyone.

Sincerely,
Jimmie Farmer

Jimmie Farmer | It is by the fortune of God that, in this country,
Guitar For Hire | we have three benefits: freedom of speech, freedom
calvin@malchick.com | of thought, and the wisdom never to use either.
http://www.malchick.com/ | -- Mark Twain