Re: Patch for video CD: porting 2.1->2.0

Teunis Peters (teunis@usa.net)
Fri, 19 Sep 1997 18:09:42 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 19 Sep 1997, Erik Andersen wrote:

> Hmmm... I don't know what readvcd-2.3 is at all, but this looks
> very similar to a patch that was added to drivers/block/ide-cd.c
> to add support for these ioctls. What I am curious about is if _anybody_
> has ever used or will ever plan on using the CDROMREADMODE1, the
> CDROMREADMODE2, or CDROMREADRAW ioctls for anything? I don't think
> they are very useful, and I have been considering dropping them (as
> part of my major updates to the kernel CD-ROM support). Do you actually
> use these ioctls for anything?

PLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASE KEEP THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[not that I've got around to actually USING them yet - I was hoping
they'd appear in the kernel and then work got real busy...]
But I want my VCD to work!!!!!!!!!

VideoCD's need mode 2 AFAIK... and not all CDroms allow raw access.
(IIRC some SCSI's don't).
(as probably would cd-i if anyone bothered to write support for it)
and some XA cds
and some mickysoft CDs prolly...

G'day, eh?
- Teunis