Re: VIC and Matrox Meteor

Bill Gribble (grib@cs.utexas.edu)
18 Sep 1997 11:47:09 -0500

Koji OKAMURA <oka@nanotsu.kobe-u.ac.jp> writes:
> I hear the problem of Meteor and Pentium Pro.
> Both FreeBSD and BSDI are hung by sending Video via Meteor on
> Pentium Pro. And the same problem occurs by Nv (Network Video).
> I guess that it is the problem of Meteor and Pentium II, too.

I have tested only single-frame captures, but on my new Intel
motherboard Pentium Pro system with 2 PPros, the Meteor works just
fine with Linux. There may be some subtle incompatibilities I haven't
hit yet, but the basic interface to the PCI bus and the driver works
just fine. This is with the Meteor-PPB board.

Seems like there's a lot of FUD about the Meteor-PPB and the PPro, but
not so much in the way of experimental data. I have two of the cards
and I'll be porting our real-time vision library to use them in the
next couple of weeks. I'll be sure to let the list know how it
goes... but all my initial tests have shown that there shouldn't be
any real problems.

Bill Gribble