Re: tcp_v4_proxy_lookup()

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@noris.de)
18 Sep 1997 18:41:10 +0200

"Michael O'Reilly" <michael@metal.iinet.net.au> writes:

> Ahhh. No, it's actually the reverse. I was trying to swap out pages
> that weren't in use, in favour of the buffer cache. The problem was
> that due to the size of the buffer cache, it would never fail to free
> a page, so try_to_free_page() would never attempt to swap anything,
> even tho there was about 15meg of memory used in long running daemons
> etc.

I have the exact same problem with our News server, only more so.

No good solution has been found yet. The simple but unfortunately wrong
thing to do, i.e. to alternately use the three memory areas for reclamation
of space, won't work.

IMHO the best way to work around this is to periodically (with an
adjustable period) use the 'other' allocation methods even if the one
currently preferred doesn't fail. I'll write up a patch for that. Swapctl
has enough unused parameters anyway. ;-)

--
Matthias Urlichs
noris network GmbH