Re: FAT binaries and Linux

Matt Brown (matt@eigen.co.uk)
Thu, 18 Sep 1997 11:18:16 +0100

Richard Guenther writes:
> On Thu, 18 Sep 1997, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
> > There is a BSD (maybe OpenBSD) that uses a modified ELF to
> > make it easy to recognize what architecture and OS the
> > executable is for.
> This is a standard ELF-feature (at least the arch recognition).
> Dunno, if there is a _standard_ way to encode the OS into the file
> (of course there is _a_ way...)

If I remember right standard ELF encodes the CPU architecture only.
Of course, most UNIX systems hide all other architectural differences
from userland code. ELF seems to have been written to only address
the problem of same-OS-different-hardware (e.g. Solaris on both sparc
and intel x86) but not the one of different-OS-same-hardware.

-Matt