Re: AMD K6

Robert Krawitz (rlk@torrent.com)
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 09:40:51 +0500

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 97 07:04:14 EDT
From: Remigius J. Onyshczak <rjo@jedgar.cam.nist.gov>

> Good news from the upgrade: the Linux side of my box upgraded
> seamlessly (other than some annoying warnings from the 2.0.30 kernel
> about unknown PCI chips -- it doesn't know about the TX chipset). The

Yeah!

Well, I did recompile the kernel, mostly to remove support for the
RZ1000 bug and to turn on code for the Triton chipset. I want to
emphasize, though, that this was *NOT* necessary for Linux to run very
well; it was basically for cleanup. Of course, due to the K6's poor
FPU, the memcpy patch didn't work very well, so I turned that off
while I was at it.

BTW, will 2.0.31 know about the TX chipset?

> Windows 95 side was another matter altogether. It wouldn't boot at
> all, so I reinstalled Windows, then I started to reinstall drivers.
> After (I think) I reinstalled the Symbios 810 driver, it wouldn't boot
> again! I had to reinstall Windows again, and had a lot of grief
> trying to reload the Matrox Millennium driver. Right now things are
> working, except for dialup networking (for some reason it isn't
> picking up on the dialup scripting that I need). Feh.

I beta tested Windows NT for Microsoft in 1992 (maybe) with the system
that still is my home system (Tangent 486DX true 50Mhz, caching SCSI
adaptor) when I was looking for an answer to DOS not being able to use
the system very efficiently or dependably. I got NT to run until I
upgraded the BIOS on the SCSI host adaptor for larger disk drives.
Then NT quit working, would not reinstall, and Micro$oft told me that
I had SCSI termination problems. They told me that I had to prove to
them that there were no SCSI termination problems on my system before
they would put any effort into fixing the problem their OS had with
my system. That was when I first started using LINUX and I see now
that it was Micro$oft that introduced me to LINUX and I've been
grateful to them ever since, although I never show my gratitude by
purchasing any of their products.

It eventually took me *five* reinstalls of W95 for the idiotic thing
to work without use of real mode drivers (several of those reinstalls
were to make it work at all!). There are still a batch of confused
drivers, and I haven't found the driver for my scanner yet. Plug and
play? I don't know about that...