Re: implementation of shrink_dcache_sb

Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 13:05:33 +1000

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997 15:24:50 -0400,
Bill Hawes <whawes@star.net> wrote:
>I've attached a preliminary implementation of a shrink_dcache_sb()
>function to be used when unmounting a device or invalidating a device's
>inodes.

Does this mean that all inodes and the super block for a device are now
purged when a device is unmounted? Previously the inodes and sb would
be kept and only purged when the device was remounted *and* a media
change was flagged.

Historically the media change flag was not always detected on some
removable disks and the old inodes/sb would be used for a new disk, a
good way to corrupt the data. IMHO it makes much more sense to purge
on unmount rather than delaying for the next mount.