Re: 2.0.29 and maximum number of user.

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
16 Sep 1997 00:45:43 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.m0x9m0R-0008zeC@seneca>,
Harald Milz <hmilz@seneca.muc.de> wrote:
>> News servers are another good use I guess... you need speed but don't really
>> care if the spool is completely trashed a couple of times a year.
>
>This is not true in the industry where personal resources become more and
>more expensive.

How many sites out there _rely_ on news being up 100% of the time?

If you're selling news, yeah, I can see that it might be important
if none of your clients have multiple feeds; but barring someone
who's obsessive about getting Each And Every Article, even that
doesn't matter.

>I am talking to a lot of customers and system integrators
>who want mission (i.e. business) critical behaviour,

It's a good job if you can find it; a lot of relational database
salesmen have made really good friends in the hardware business by
selling people massively redundant systems to hold transient
reporting information (you know the type; the backend is transaction
records all carefully backed up, the final output is a dozen or so
100k-line reports that the business analysts can massage with excel
on their desktops, and the transient database, that is repopulated
every night by new report data, is kept on a redundant-power raid5
machine with about 700mb of real memory. The database programmers
will, of course, reinitialize the database every evening, but if
western civilization should collapse BY GOD you'll have the half-
sorted sales figures for the night before your 30 stores were burned
by the rioting mobs.)

>and no one taking his
>job serious today will set up bare striping without any redundancy.

I do. If my news spool dies, I don't give a damn. I don't even back
the silly thing up, so if I lose a newspool disk, all that spam and
all those rmgroups by the dictatorship will be gone without a trace.

____
david parsons \bi/ And I get paid to ignore these backups.
\/