Re: [patch] QNX-style scheduling v1.10 for Linux 2.0

linux kernel account (linker@nightshade.z.ml.org)
Mon, 15 Sep 1997 23:21:05 -0400 (EDT)

That not true, compiling the kernel doesn't use much ram.. (Make -j2 shows
a loss of about 7megs free before adding buffers).. And with the QNX
patch, a reallyniced task just plain doesn't run if there are other tasks
that want to run.. So they shouldn't induce swapping if there are other
tasks doing anything (because the compile will not get ANY cpu if there
are other tasks)..

And of course, you can still nice tasks..

FYI- I've used the QNX patch on a 486-dx33 with 8megs.. And I can compile
the kernel in the background with almost no noticeable performance hit..
(Without the patch the system is awefully slow).. Please try patches, or
atleast understand how they work before you critisize them.. If you dont
you will likely be incorrect.. I've tried it, it works. The only
performance hit is from the disk activity.. But if I'm trying to use the
computer, the compile doesn't get much cpu, so it doesn't geneate as much
disk activity..

On Mon, 15 Sep 1997, Pavel Machek wrote:

> And a few comments:

[snip qnx-sched docs on compiling the kernel in a slow runque]