Re: Unicode in kernel

Alex Belits (abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us)
Thu, 28 Aug 1997 01:43:32 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 28 Aug 1997, Albert Cahalan wrote:

> Programmers may not ignore it, because it is here to stay.
> It is in: vfat, ntfs,

1. By Microsoft.
2. Hopelessly broken and not used even by them.

> new MacOS filesystem,

MacOS filesystems are near to useless for unixlike OS without rather heavy
translation anyway.

> plan 9,

Not used anywhere.

> Java

Unicode in it is broken and unused.

> smb/cifs,

Microsoft, see above.

> various web standards

Wrong. In all standards Unicode is at most declared a "common" charset,
but no one, even Martin Duerst, dared to demand it to be used instead of
charset declaration in the HTTP header. No one uses Unicode there, and
browsers aren't capable of it at any noticeable extent anyway, while
support of multiple charsets is included in all browsers and is included
in all versions of HTTP since 1.0. Unicode is there at the same extent,
ActiveX is.

>, joliet, UDF, NT kernel interface...

Microsoft again, see above. And how can any system benefit from NT kernel
interface, are we going to run Linux kernel under NT in some werid
emulator? Portability at that level is out of question anyway, Microsoft
programmers spend most of their time looking for what compatible interface
that is still left in NT, to break, and we are no match for them in
picking their "solutions".

> With that kind of support, it is not going to just go away.

It's not even here, how it can "go away"?

--
Alex