Re: RFC: getting rid of the TSS + patch

Ingo Molnar (mingo@pc7537.hil.siemens.at)
Thu, 28 Aug 1997 09:06:36 +0200 (MET DST)

On 28 Aug 1997, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> > without any TSS switching, with full iopl() and ioperm() interface
> > compatibility...
>
> You may wish to see if you can get rid of the 1024-port limitation in
> the ioperm() bitmap. Since so few processes use ioperm(), you may be
> able to allocate a full 64K-port bitmap once they call ioperm().
> Linus couldn't do this for memory management reasons, maybe your code
> can...

yes, but copying a 64K area in and out looks quite scary. Hm, paging
translation comes after segmentation, right? Then we could pull a trick
with virtual memory? ioperm() tasks then would have a bit more TLB
trashing, but that should be lost in the noise.

-- mingo