Re: attempt to re-implement sillyrename for NFS in 2.1.*

Andi Kleen (ak@muc.de)
27 Aug 1997 22:38:52 +0200

"Matthias Urlichs" <smurf@noris.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Alan Cox wrote:
> >
> >> I'd define "reasonable" as "'tail -f FOO & rm FOO' has a chance of working".
> >> Think not about renames, nor hardlinks, it's not worth the bother. IMHO.
> >>
> >> NB: _Is_ anybody working on a usable stateful shared file system for Linux?
> >
> >SMBfs, NCPfs, CODA ?
> >
> SMB currently can't carry Unix file attributes too well.
> I expect the same to be true for NCP.

There is work done on an CIFS extension for Unix file attributes.
I assume samba/smbfs will be one of the first to implement it.
And he asked if somebody is 'working on', not for finished solutions ;)

> >CODA especially has a lot of promise but is also an extremely complex system.
> >
> Which might be a problem if it's going to be a possible NFS replacement.
I fear the time of simple solutions (HTTP, NFSv2) in networking is over :(
Everything new seems to be complex and bloated.

-Andi