Re: AMD K6 and unresolved symbols..

Nicolas St-Pierre (draggy@kosmic.org)
Tue, 26 Aug 1997 10:03:11 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 25 Aug 1997, Jeff Wiegley wrote:

> but... one thing that has not been reported to our knowledge is whether
> the Intel 430xx chipsets have anything to do with it so we have been
> looking
> for a linux knowledgable soul who has a a non Intel chipset board.
>
> Your board is VIA590 based!!!

Which is the reason why I got it in the first place. ;)

> would you *PRETTY PLEASE* run the burnit script found on
> http://www.creaweb.fr/bpc/k6bug.html
> and tell me what the results are after compiling 200 kernels?
> it will only take about 12 hours of time. So you can let it run
> overnight.

Since my last email, I've returned the processor to the reseller I got it
from, I'm expecting a replacement anyday. I'll run the test ASAP. As for
the memory size issue, I also have a 32Mb SDRAM dimm so I'll run the
test twice on this system, one with the 32Mb dimm, and one with the 64Mb
dimm (and why not go for both dimms at the same time while we're at it).
Hoping that the results will be relevant to fixing the current problem.

On the same issue, someone else wrote:

On Mon, 25 Aug 1997, Pavel Machek <pavel@Elf.mj.gts.cz>
>> Can't resolve symbol 'rypt'
>> Can't resolve symbol 'orecore'
>
>So you can get bash?

Most of the rc.S failed and I end up with a <none>:/ bash prompt after
logging in. So basically I do get into bash, but I can't execute any
binaries, I get those unresolved symbols whenever I try to execute a
command.

>I think that it is not HW fault. Just check your config.

I don't believe it is a hardware fault, I can take out the K6 and put in
an intel P166 clocked at 200, and it runs just fine.

Another thought is CPU heat, though the apparent K6 bug doesn't seem to
be heat related, my problem with unresolved symbols could well be. My
processor was supplied with a rather slim Intel Pentium heatsink that's
made with small plastic notches to clip under the processor (not the
socket) and given the different design of the K6 which makes it a bit
thicker than the usual pentium processor and it's rather big heat
dissipation, this heatsink was very inadequate. I've since then purchased
a Peltier cooler to make sure heat is not an issue in this problem.
Hopefully I'll have more info in a few days.

Cheers,

Nick.

the Kosmic Free Music Foundation - Free Music Now!
Nicolas St-Pierre (aka "Dragunov"), VP & Network (draggy@kosmic.org)
Website: http://www.kosmic.org
Linux Slackware User