Re: Linux sound driver future

Hannu Savolainen (hannu@4front-tech.com)
Tue, 26 Aug 1997 09:10:01 +0300 (EET DST)

On Tue, 26 Aug 1997, Boris Tobotras wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Aug 1997 09:29:59 +0300, Hannu Savolainen wrote:
>
> >Unfortunately I don't have any way to include these patches to OSS/Free.
> >So it looks it's now the time to separate OSS/Free and the kernel sound
> >drivers. The plan is the following.
>
> Hannu,
>
> can you please make it clear, why have you decided to not accept the
> patches? Is is position of 4front to hold the development on your hands,
> or something else?
I have not decided anything yet. I only said that I don't have any way to
merge the patches with sources of OSS. Currently OSS/Free is not
independent from the commercial OSS but just some kind of output after
the OSS sources have run through a filter program. If I accept the patches
I should include them to the commercial OSS too which is completely out of
question.

The solution might be that I start maintaining independent source trees
for OSS/Free (kernel sound driver) and OSS. However this means that fixes
made to OSS don't get automaticly included to OSS/Free which may become a
problem in future. However in this way it's possible to include patches
sent by other persons easier than now. Another alternative to handle the
modularity patches is that I implement modularity to the driver in my way
(so that it doesn't conflict with OSS/Linux). However I can't do this
before version 3.9 (next year).

As I said I have not made any decisions yet. I hoped that some of the
recognized Linux hackers is interested in starting maintaining the kernel
sound driver. However it looks like everybody are busy. The most probable
solution is that I continue maintaining the kernel sound driver but
independently from the commercial OSS.

Best regards,

Hannu
-----