Re: UTF-8, OSTA-UDF [why?], Unicode, and miscellaneous gibberish

Dan Hollis (goemon@sasami.anime.net)
Mon, 25 Aug 1997 18:12:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 21 Aug 1997, Erik Corry wrote:
> The impression I got from the whole discussion is that the
> Japanese objections to Han unification are not tenable, and
> that Han Unification was a process initiated in the Far East
> and approved of by JISC the Japanese standards organisation.

For a nice detailed explanation of the problems in unicode, take a look
at http://www.personal-media.co.jp/vs/mltp96/keynote/keynote_e.html. It's
a paper by Ken Sakamura from the university of Tokyo on multilingual
computing. It's actually a paper promoting their well known TRON project,
but details the inadequacies of unicode.

> Most people have objections to decisions made in Unicode. This
> is inevitable in a standard of this size, on a subject that
> raises such emotions. Many of the perceived inconsistencies
> arise from the need to convert losslessly from other encodings
> to Unicode and back.

This is only part of the problem; as I stated before many of the
unifications are apparently nonsensical.

And I still wish the FTP-WG would get their head out of their ... when it
comes to encodings.

-Dan