Re: patch for 2.1.51 kswapd -- please test

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Mon, 25 Aug 1997 16:49:36 -0400

Michael Harnois wrote:

> > It looks like the freeze problem reported by Mike Galbraith was caused
> > by kswapd endlessly looping, unable to make progress towards the
> > free_pages_high goal.
>
> Well, I'll bet that was it. I recompiled with your patch, rebooted,
> and just got this message:
>
> Aug 25 15:16:18 mharnois kernel: kswapd: failed after 201 tries, got 74 of 128

Thanks for giving it a test. I may make a change to allow any number of
iterations as long as try_to_free_page is blocking. Since kswapd runs
at low priority, this would mean that other tasks are being scheduled,
and are probably using up the pages kswapd is freeing.

The case where kswapd is looping without blocking that's causing the
problems.

Regards,
Bill