Re: Get rid of them

Marcin Dalecki (dalecki@sub994.sub.uni-goettingen.de)
Mon, 25 Aug 1997 11:38:53 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sun, 24 Aug 1997 Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl wrote:

> david parsons:
>
> : Marcin Dalecki <dalecki@sub994.sub.uni-goettingen.de> wrote:
> :: The following patch against 2.1.51 just removes some of the VERY VERY old
> :: and no longer used crap.
>
> : Backwards compatibility is A Good Thing.
>
> Other people expressed similar sentiments.
> Note, that the locking stuff actually breaks old binaries
> that use libc 4.5.26, while the stuff Marcin Dalecki wanted
> to remove is much older.
>
> So, anyone who is concerned about Marcin Dalecki's proposed
> change should cry out loudly and demand the `#ifdef __sparc__'
> in locks.c:fcntl_setlk() changed back to `#if 1'.
> This is really a point that hurts, much more than this oldstat stuff.
>
> Andries

And just a hint why the current development kernel 2.1 isn't that backward
compatible below libc-5.4.13 anyway:

1. Error return value handling!!! (Do You remenber the grief????)

2. Memmory mapping changes 0xC0000...00 (Don't remember haow many zeros :-).

3. modutils-2.1.42 and anything else module related.

4. Anything /proc related Tough I'm not a friend of the not very well done
design of this interface. It's fluctuating just too frequently.

Marcin
Langunages: Polish, German, English (in THAT order of precedence).
Homepage: http://sub994.sub.uni-goettingen.de
http://sub994.sub.uni-goettingen.de/polish.html