Re: bitops atomicity question

Andreas Schwab (schwab@issan.informatik.uni-dortmund.de)
Mon, 25 Aug 97 11:40:54 +0200

David S Miller <davem@jenolan.rutgers.edu> writes:

|> From: Darren Reed <darrenr@cyber.com.au>
|> Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 17:54:27 +1000 (EST)

|> hmmm, what happened to the CAS/TAS (and firends) on the m68k ? get
|> dropped from the '30 or is SMP yet to be ported o m68k anyway ?

|> I meant "N/A" as in "not applicable" as there does not exist a port to
|> an m68k SMP platform yet ;-)

|> It's funny, because the m68k has one of the most advanced atomic
|> operations of any processor, DCAS.

The bitmap functions don't use CAS/TAS, so presumably they won't be SMP
safe. Also, some Amiga hardware apparently have problems with the bus
cycles generated by CAS, so that it is not used by default in the other
atomic functions.

--
Andreas Schwab                                      "And now for something
schwab@issan.informatik.uni-dortmund.de              completely different"