Re: v2.1.51: Memory lost? PLEASE(!) help...

Edward Welbon (welbon@bga.com)
Mon, 25 Aug 1997 01:17:46 -0500 (CDT)

You aren't using initrd or otherwise allocating a ram disk that is
not being freed are you?

On Sun, 24 Aug 1997, Meino Christian Cramer wrote:

> Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 11:25:06 -0000 (???)
> From: Meino Christian Cramer <mccramer@solfire.ludwigsburg.netsurf.de>
> To: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
> Subject: v2.1.51: Memory lost? PLEASE(!) help...
>
> Hi!
>
> I have reported this several times but haven't got any response.
>
> Because it is completly mysterious to me, I would really be VERY happy, if
> one could give a hint even if this is :
>
> 1) ...reported and/or solved by someone else before.
> 2) ...a completely silly newbie question. A newbie only will become a "guru"
> after years of questions AND answers... ;-)
>
> And now: what happens?
>
> After a while runnning linux with several applicatuons, I "lost" memory...
>
> For me the sum of MemFree, MemShared, Buffers, Cached
> (by using "cat /proc/meminfo") memory usage has to be (nearly)
> the value of MemTotal, isn't it?
>
> But after a while, my output of "cat /proc/meminfo" looks like:
>
> MemTotal: 31140 kB
> MemFree: 9004 kB
> MemShared: 4968 kB
> Buffers: 1052 kB
> Cached: 8424 kB
> SwapTotal: 21484 kB
> SwapFree: 19720 kB
>
> As one can see, 7692 kB are missing. Where has my memory gone??????
>
> If there would no other "features" ;-), I would say, only the
> code, which is responsible for /proc/meminfo has some problems --
> but if this happens, my box begins to swap. Only a reboot
> would reset the values.
>
> I have tried to close all applications (only X, fvwm and a module of fvwm
> and one rxvt/bash were running beside the other deamons and system stuff).
>
> What is going on in my box???
>
> KEEP HACKING!
> meino
>

> ----------------------------------
> E-Mail: Meino Christian Cramer <mccramer@solfire.ludwigsburg.netsurf.de>
> Date: 24-Aug-97
> Time: 10:48:59
>
> This message was sent by XFMail

Ed Welbon; welbon@bga.com;

"He had bought a large map representing the sea,
Without the least vestige of land:
And the crew was much pleased when they found it to be
A map they could all understand."