Re: ioevent queues (was Re: Proposed new poll2() syscall)

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.CSIRO.AU)
Mon, 25 Aug 1997 10:15:00 +1000

Dean Gaudet writes:

> On Sun, 24 Aug 1997, Richard Gooch wrote:
>
> > I note you have the EIOEVENTFULL error, which is fine for the case
> > where the application attempts to generate I/O. What happens if you've
> > set up a TCP connection to feed events into the I/O pipe?
>
> You have to issue a read() or an accept() in order to cause those events to
> even appear on the pipe. The read/accept return immediately and later on
> they complete and the results appear on the pipe. So none of the problems
> you mentioned happen.

??? So how does my application know that data has arrived on a TCP
connection? Do I call poll(2)? Or do I speculatively call read(2) on
all connections? The latter seems the most promising.

Regards,

Richard....