Re: FAT12 vs FAT16

Paul H. Hargrove (hargrove@sccm.Stanford.EDU)
Sun, 24 Aug 1997 11:43:41 -0700 (PDT)

Richard B. Johnson writes:
[snip]
> You can copy the boot record from a 1.2 mb floppy to a 1.44 mb floppy
> and you will find that MS-DOS thinks it is now a 1.2 mb floppy. You
> can use format/u to reformat it "as-is", and it is now a 1.2 mb floppy!
[snip]

I had occasion to do this last night copying some 360K and 1.2M
installation floppies to 720K and 1.44M disks using dd. The
360K->720K copy produced usable MSDOS installation disks. However,
the 1.2M->1.44M wouldn't work. Some of the files simply disappeared,
and mtools 3.6 would segfault when working with the disk. I assume
this is because the sectors/track didn't match.

Does anybody know the setfdprm argumets to get a 1.2M format
(80T/2H/15S) on a 1.44M floppy drive?

--
Paul H. Hargrove                   All material not otherwise attributed
hargrove@sccm.stanford.edu         is the opinion of the author or a typo.