Re: which ISDN devices work with Linux?

Eberhard Burr (Eberhard.Burr@stud.uni-karlsruhe.de)
22 Aug 1997 09:24:28 +0200

Eberhard Burr <Eberhard.Burr@stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> writes:

> > drivers. In many cases you cannot run transparent HDLC over them but
> > you need async PPP or X.75. There are exceptions like the Zyxel 2864DI
> > which will run SLIP over the RS232 line and sync PPP over ISDN if you
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> exactly this does _not_ work properly with my Elite 2864ID and I've
> heard from some other folks using Elites and OmniTAs that have the

O.k. and, as Edward Welbon pointed out, I still have put some more
confusion in here.... Edward writes:

> I have an Omni TA128 that I use with a cheapo serial card that runs
> the serial ports at 230.4K baud. It is definitely faster than any
> analog. I have uploaded as fast as 28K bytes/sec (very compressible
> file). I use pppd and diald, it is quite acceptable.

My apologies, I haven't cleared confusion within the Article, i
replied to: If you run SLIP on the serial line, the Elite will convert
this to raw IP encapsulated in HDLC. (this is using ATB41) If you use
PPP, it can convert async on the serial line to sync on ISDN. The
latter is, however, no option for me because my universities dial-in
facilities do not understand anything but raw IP (or transparent HDLC,
as the info-leaflet from my uni calls it). The problem seems not to be
present with PPP. ZyXel's european supporters claim to not have
possibilities to test SLIP->raw IP conversions themselves and have
proven not very cooperative in this point. Yesterday, I got answer to
an eMail to their international support and this gives me some hope...

> > Problem is, that the Zyxels don't get hardware handshake
> > right when doing this conversion.
>
> Could you elaborate?

Serial speed is above ISDN speed, thus the Elite has to choke the data
stream from my computer to itself by lowering CTS. However CTS doesn't
come up again while the ISDN connection stays established. The other
direction works fine, and if I only download files, I can get 7.5
kbyte/sec on compressed data. As I often have to upload files (like
this mail), I have set my serial speed to below 64kbps which on a
standard serial port comes out as 38.4kbps which, due to overhead and
unavailability of compression turns out to be slower than 28.8 with an
analog modem.

Using SLIP over an analog line (that is: dial into an analog modem
using Elite's ATDM command) works fine even with the serial speed set
to 115.2 kbps. This indicates my software and serial port are ok.

> > Avoid them, if you have to use transparent HDLC as you have to keep your
> > serial line slower than the B-channel which comes out to be no faster
> > than analog modems.
>
> What do you mean by transparent HDLC?

Raw IP? synchronous HDLC? I really am confused about the terms,
however I mean the thing you can invoke using ZyXels ATB41 command,
which is the only protocol that seems to work with my universities
ISDN router. It seems to be named differently in different sources.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

So far for that, now back on-topic:

As far as my understanding goes the ISDN subsystem in the kernel has
its own hardware-independent layer, which is not CAPI. ZyXel Elite TAs
however have CAPI built in, Capi-messages only have to be expanded by
a few control-bytes and then multiplexed over the serial line. This
leads me to the question wether there is any work on a CAPI interface
(either on top of the isdn4linux drivers or independently from that)
in progress? If so, where could I find information about that?

Best regards,

--
Eberhard Burr             finger uhl4@rzstud2.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de for PGP key
                          #include <stddisc.h>