Re: pre-2.0.31-7 nit picks

Michael K. Johnson (johnsonm@redhat.com)
Tue, 19 Aug 1997 10:42:54 -0400

Florian La Roche writes:
>The Kernel needs these things from a single write(). Some versions
>of bash (2.0?) seem to send "echo 128 256 512" in three calls to "write()"
>instead of a single one.

Thanks. Then instead of simply changing them, it would make sense to
add a comment explaining why they are changed. Otherwise, people who
"know" that echo concatenates its arguments are liable to leave off
the quotes and then post here that things don't work. I'm not one of
the whiners complaining that the kernel doesn't have a comment explaining
how every line works, but non-obvious changes like this should probably
be commented... So here's a comment to add along with the change:

# some incarnations of the echo command write separate arguments with
# a separate write() system call; these files require a single write()

michaelkjohnson

prudent as the heavy petting of literature." -- Fran Lebowitz