Re: UDP network problem

Tomasz Motylewski (motyl@crds.chemie.unibas.ch)
Mon, 18 Aug 1997 15:01:41 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Eric Hoeltzel wrote:

> > UDP is an unreliable delivery system, it makes no send/receive guarantees.
> > Use TCP if you require these.
> >
> > Alan
>
> Someone told me recently that UDP is a guaranteed protocol over
> arcnet. While this rang true to me, I am am unable to explain
> to myself precisely why this is so. It's been years since I've
> had an arcnet network with which to play, and it was ipx anyway...

Well, on Arcnet all protocols are reliable - it is implemented in hardware.
The card will not send data if there is no free buffer on receiving card. The
data are acknowledged after after being received. For more details see few
recent postings on http://tichy.ch.uj.edu.pl/lists/linux-arcnet/#end

--
Tomasz Motylewski