Re: OSS 3.8a: SB32 not detected by lowlevel driver

Hannu Savolainen (hannu@4front-tech.com)
Mon, 18 Aug 1997 15:50:09 +0300 (EET DST)

On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Ulrich Windl wrote:

> The driver does not detect my soundcard as an "AWE32" (which is
> strictly speaking correct), but complains (rather unverbose)
> "AWE32 not found"
> "AWE32: not detected"
>
> According to my knowledge the test for the AWE32 is too strict; I
It's not too strict. If the detection fails it means that the emu8000
synth is not alive. Probably you just have SB32 PnP which needs
initialization using isapnptools (see the notes in lowlevel/README.awe).
The detection routine doesn't depend on existence of RAM.

> could benefit from most of the features, except positional audio and
> some reverb effects. Also there are several subtypes of the SB32;
> some are not even upgradable with RAM, but they still can play the
> sounds in ROM.
>
> Still the SB32 can play 32 or 30 (two needed for RAM refresh) voices
> (I think the older types can play less). Thus it would be good to
> detect the SB32/EMU8000 even outside the lowlevel driver.
There is just one type of EMU8000 ever released. Even the oldest AWE32
cards have the same capabilities than the latest AWE64 Gold. The
difference is in the way how the RAM is plugged in.

Best regards,

Hannu
-----
Hannu Savolainen (hannu@4front-tech.com)