Re: looped root filesystem

James Mastros (root@jennifer-unix.dyn.ml.org)
Sun, 17 Aug 1997 23:19:52 -0400 (EDT)

On 15 Aug 1997 jfm2@club-internet.fr wrote:

> Make an UMSDOS file system for / and loopbacks for /usr, /home and
> /var. The only problem is /dev: it has 1300 files so it will probably
> use 40 megs under DOS (perhaps not, for DOS they are empty files). If
> you notice than special files use 32K on UMSDOS then you coould have a
> stripped down /dev for booting on UMSDOS and you mount a loopback file
> on /dev.

Nope, empty files have no sectors. This creates problems if you want to use
the cluser number as the inode number. Argh!

-=- James Mastros

Current projects:
The "fatish" (not fetish) filesystem - A full re-write of the msdos, vfat,
fat32, umsdos, and uvfat filesystems. It is about 29K of junk now, and
/almost/ mounts.
Makefile cleanup - mostly doing less recompilation if nothing actually
changed.
Making a page on said projects at http://jennifer-unix.dyn.ml.org (my
computer (warning: 33.6 link, not always up)), or possibly www.epix.net
/~abszero/linux/ (my ISP, but they have a 2MB limit). (NEW!)
Making a .signature. (NEW!)