Re: 2.1.50 VFS: Busy inodes after unmount. Self-destruct in 5 seconds.

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Sat, 16 Aug 1997 22:46:19 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 17 Aug 1997, David S. Miller wrote:

> I've seen this bug reported by two or three people now, and I can't
> for teh life of me see how it could happen: the "inode" pointer in
> the dentry is totally corrupted (0xffffffff is definitely a bad
> inode pointer).
>
> Looks like a PTR_ERR() botch...

I'd agree, except for the fact that the inode code doesn't use the error
pointers (only used by dentries "struct dentry" and the "char *" in
"getname()"). And looking at the patch, it's an inode pointer that is
corrupted, not a dentry pointer.

(But yes, 0xffffffff would be "EPERM" as a error pointer, which is why I
also first thought it was a error pointer. But it's definitely the
"inode->i_op" dereference that faults here..).

Linus