Re: large file support?

Lance Dillon (riffraff@gte.net)
Sat, 16 Aug 1997 22:57:44 -0400

Martin von Loewis wrote:

> As for 'real' file systems: I have not found any. Most don't support
> large files on-disk. Those who do truncate the offset here or there.
> The possible candidates are:
> - NFS version 3 (is anybody working on this?)
> - NTFS
> - ufs (it supports large files since 4.4BSD, doesn't it)
>
> Regards,
> Martin

well, as for ntfs, it *says* (the specs, i suppose) it supports up to
4tb, but i wouldnt quite trust it, because we had a file over like 2
gigs at work , and it didnt matter how much over that it was, it
truncated the size to the 2 gig mark....

that is too say, the file was that big, but a dir in a command window,
and the file manager, would only say 2gig...

i dont know if i would trust much of anything else requiring file sizes
over 2gig...

--
Lance Dillon                   | "Not in the face,
UNIX/NT Sysadmin               |  not in the face!"