Re: large file support? (fwd)

Ulrich Drepper (drepper@ipd.info.uni-karlsruhe.de)
17 Aug 1997 04:54:22 +0200

"David S. Miller" <davem@jenolan.rutgers.edu> writes:

> Really, I'm personally more for a true 64-bit seperate set of
> interfaces for these sorts of things. Then we can have 64-bit file
> support coherent across all platforms.

This is also the easiest for the libc part. The only requirement I
have is that a file handle has a kind of sticky tag. The idea is that
a file handle (either opened with open or open64) can work with all
functions/syscalls if the file is smaller than 2GB. If the descriptor
is used with a syscall for small files and the file is larger than 2GB
the operation should fail and return EOVERFLOW.

I've talked a bit with Alan about this so he might be a good person to
talk to before starting this (especially since he's sceptical). I can
only say that once the kernel has this stuff the libc will follow a
few days later.

-- Uli
---------------. drepper@cygnus.com ,-. Rubensstrasse 5
Ulrich Drepper \ ,-------------------' \ 76149 Karlsruhe/Germany