Re: [yet another attempt] Re: 2.0.31-pre5: Couldn't get a free page..... (fwd)

Doug Ledford (dledford@dialnet.net)
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 19:56:12 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 16 Aug 1997, Tomasz Motylewski wrote:

> WITH your patch:
>
> only 5-10 s waiting when typing "free" or "w" in the other screen window
> during "badblocks"

I can concur, interactive performance is much better during heavy write
than without the patch.

> BTW. I did "umount /" before exiting single mode. No error, but Ctrl-Alt-Del
> caused "INIT: PANIC: segmentation violation". I still had bash, but I had to
> press RESET. On reboot / was clean, but other two SCSI partitions were
> fsck-ed (in single mode all partitions were mounted RW). I have init 2.64.

This particular item isn't kernel related at least :) Actually, if you
have a read only filesystem (and init doesn't know it), then it blindly
tries to open /etc/initrunlvl, which fails, then it writes to it without
checking, and boom, it dies (if I remember the messages correctly from
when I did that exact thing). However, a "shutdown -nr now" would have
worked in your case :)

* Doug Ledford * Unix, Novell, Dos, Windows 3.x, *
* dledford@dialnet.net 873-DIAL * WfW, Windows 95 & NT Technician *
* Springfield, MO and surrounding * Usenet news, e-mail and shell account.*
* communities. Sign-up online at * Web page creation and hosting, other *
* 873-9000 V.34 * services available, call for info. *