Re: odd telnet troubles.

Chris Rogers (crogers1@stevens-tech.edu)
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 10:08:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> If you look at the startup messages, you will probably find that your
> new kernel complains "root forgot xxxxx", which happened when your
> network startup script does `route add -net NN.NN.NN.0`. You now need
> to put in a netmask. Here is my startup file for an example:

ug, no offense, but I wish people would read the whole post the first
time. I have done this, the routing works fine. As I mentioned before,
ping, ftp, http, traceroute, every single TCP/IP program I have tried
EXCEPT telnet works just fine.

the EXACT same network setup worked a few days ago, until I started
playing with 2.1.47 and up, and recompiled net-tools, which is why I was
posting to the kernel list also.

on further investigation I have noticed that telnet will not work with an
IP address that is not in my etc hosts file.

for instance:

$ ftp 10.52.1.25
Connected to 10.52.1.25

$telnet 10.52.1.25
Trying 10.52.1.25...
Connection Failed. Connection refused by remote host.

$echo "10.52.1.25 blah blah" >> /etc/hosts

$telnet 10.52.1.25
Trying 10.52.1.25...
Connected to 10.52.1.25
Escape character is '^]'.

note that running tcpdump on my machine shows that NO packets are
generated for the first telnet call, not an arp-request, nothing.
why would telnet require an IP address do be in the hosts file??

Christopher Rogers Stevens Institute of Technology
Email:gandalf@pobox.com
HomePage http://stute.jacobus.stevens-tech.edu/~gandalf

It has recently been discovered that research causes cancer in rats.